Monica’s Surrogacy Story

Mission Impossible 2

In the last newsletter you read about Monica’s first surrogacy experience and how her poor husband, Lennie, had to drive rocket speed in the middle of the night only to arrive 10 minutes before Gerard was born. Well picture this: Life Flight Helicopter ride from Wildomar to San Diego. Now don’t worry, it was not a life-threatening emergency, but the story is still very interesting and I will share it with you.

Monica experienced some pregnancy complications and was put on bedrest halfway through her twin pregnancy. When I asked the doctor how long he thought the bedrest would continue, he stated, “Until she delivers.” I left Monica and Lennie alone to discuss this as this would definitely alter their lives. Monica worked full-time, they have two kids, etc. After a while I returned to the hospital room to see tears in both of their eyes. I asked them what they wanted to do. They held hands and Monica responded, “Whatever we can do to help these babies survive. I must do whatever their Mom would have done if she were in my position. How can I do any less? We made a promise to them and we are not going to break it.” So the months of bedrest began.

Since we didn’t know when Monica would deliver, the Expectant Parents came to California to await the birth of their children. Then, once we reached 26 weeks gestation, the doctors in Wildomar wanted Monica’s and the babies’ care to continue in San Diego where they are best equipped for a premature birth. They ordered that she be transported by ambulance to Sharp Mary Birch Hospital. Monica’s husband and Couple returned to the house to get ready for the trip to San Diego. I told them I would follow the ambulance to San Diego and meet them there. After a while, I went to ask the nurse when the ambulance was coming as it had been quite a while. “Oh, didn’t anyone tell you?” she asks. “We couldn’t spare the staff that is needed for an ambulance transport so a helicopter is on its way to pick up Monica.” I was sure she was kidding. I was looking for the Candid Camera crew or some sign that this was a joke. No one appeared.

When I told Monica, I think she too was looking for the camera crew. Then suddenly we could hear the helicopter approaching. She grabbed my arm and said, “You’re going with me!” I asked the nurse if it was possible for me to accompany Monica and she said it was up to the pilot. He needs to consider the weight of each passenger and other things. I knew that I had to tell him how much I really weighed, as the information wasn’t for my driver’s license! He sized me up and cleared me to go. I was nervous, scared actually, but comforted myself with the thought of riding in the back with Monica and focusing on her throughout the trip. The fear returned when the pilot announced that I needed to ride in front with him, as there is no room in back with all of the equipment and personnel. I wanted to scream but didn’t, of course. All I said was “Cool”. Actually my vocabulary from that point until we arrived to San Diego consisted of Cool, Neat, Wow and a few other muttered responses. I wondered if the pilot knew I was scared or if he thought I was just an idiot! At one point, Monica comments to the paramedic that they should have better viewing for the patients, as she was unable to see anything outside. He responds that usually the patients are unconscious or seriously injured and are unaware that they are going for a helicopter ride. “Oh” she said suddenly adopting my limited vocabulary. I am happy to report that the ride was very smooth and nothing at all like I feared. Apparently, I watch too much television as I envisioned us swooping up and down along the way and Monica strapped on the outside of the helicopter!

Anyway, after a month’s stay at “Hotel de la Sharp Mary Birch” where Monica received wonderful care from their staff, the experience came to a successful end. The twins were born on March 5, 2000 and flew to Europe in May finally to go home with their parents. Monica and her family made many sacrifices throughout those many months but have never regretted the decision they made that day in the hospital.