Pregnant During COVID-19; Annette’s Story Part 2

A quick look back.  After giving in to her nerves, Annette was a wreck when she arrived for her embryo transfer.  Then after just a few minutes with Shannon, her nerves were settled and she made a vow that she would only have positive thoughts from that point forward.  Little did she know how important this vow would become.


I was on a high after becoming pregnant after only one try.  The first trimester of pregnancy was going by so fast.  As we were heading into the 2nd trimester, an ultrasound detected an issue with the placenta.  It was a diagnosis, Vasa Previa, that I recall hearing about in a recent Group meeting with Dr. Rad.  I maintained my positive outlook and told everyone at BFI, “I got this!”  I followed the doctor’s advice and knew that the day would come when I would be hospitalized for the remainder of the pregnancy. I focused on the things I could control and I knew I had work to do.  


I was working full-time and a single mom to 3 kids.  I explained the situation to everyone and my job was phenomenal in understanding my situation and my kids were amazing.  They helped me pack a bag of things to do. We packed coloring books, puzzles, and books.  I even splurged on a Nintendo Switch!  Of course, I had my laptop too.  And we made plans for our daily visits. I prepared for the worst and hoped for the best.  I mentally prepared everyone for two months knowing my stay would not be any longer than that.  Never in a million years could I have anticipated what would happen next.


The first week went as expected.  Shannon, Randi and Carol came to visit at different times. My entire family visited me daily which included my kids, my mom, and extended family.  We played games, watched television, and just hung out.  Then the allowed visitors dwindled down to 2 and they had to be over 16.  Two of my three children are under 16 so this was a difficult transition for everyone.  I remember thinking as I was sitting with my two youngest children, that it could be weeks before I held them again.  It was a very sad moment for me.  


Then overnight there was a significant change in my surroundings.  The medical staff were wearing masks and gowns and stated that they were going to minimize contact with me for my safety.  Literally, the next day everyone who entered the hospital was screened before being allowed to enter.  The hospital protocols were changing by the hour. And then I was told that I could only have one visitor for the remainder of my stay.   I spoke to my oldest daughter and together we decided she should be the one.  


I was isolated from the world that my family was living in. I watched the progression of COVID-19 on television and it was surreal.  I felt like I was watching a movie, it was not possible that this could really be happening, could it?  My thoughts were constantly on my kids and how they were managing this new lifestyle.  I have never been more thankful for technology than during this time.  I was able to speak or video chat with them every day and I think that helped us all tremendously.