Last week CBR announced a phase II clinical trial for autism. Diagnoses of autism in the U.S. have risen to 1 in every 88 children, making research like this particularly important. CBR has partnered with Dr. Michael Chez, Director of Pediatric Neurology at the Sutter Neuroscience Institute in Sacramento, Calif., to establish this efficacy study, which will evaluate the use of children’s own stored cord blood stem cells as a potential therapy for autism.
In this blinded, placebo-controlled, FDA-regulated trial, researchers will investigate if cord blood improves language and behavior in children previously diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. The study will enroll 30 children who have their cord blood processed and stored with CBR – allowing the researchers to control for consistent quality.
The new study is one of several FDA-regulated clinical trials CBR has established with researchers focused on advancing newborn stem cell science and expanding the uses for cord blood stem cells. CBR helps fund research and establishes trials so that families will have more medical options in the future.
Your commitment to educating all of your patients on their options and the importance of newborn stem cell banking is the first step in helping families prepare for a healthy future. For your patients who are interested in learning more about newborn stem cell banking, please direct them to call 1-888-CORD BLOOD or cordblood.com
You can read more about the autism trial here If you are interested in learning more about clinical trials exclusive to CBR clients or have patients who may meet the criteria for participation, click here.
Below is a sampling of some of the early press coverage the new trial has received since the initial announcement. We encourage you to take a look as your patients may have seen it as well.
- NBC Sacramento: http://www.news10.net/news/article/206012/2/Stem-cells-from-umbilical-cord-could-help-treat-autism
- Yahoo!: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/autism-cord-blood-stem-cells-150500233.html
- Fox Radio (pick up from Fox News piece): http://radio.foxnews.com/2012/08/22/housecall-for-health-can-cord-blood-cure-autism/
- Scientific American: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=stem-cell-trial-for-autism-launches-in-us
- The Boston Globe: http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2012/08/21/stem-cell-treatment-for-autism-tested-fda-backed-trial/vWRTRl0CPN1h4VX9QYcrvN/story.html
- Bloomberg: http://www.businessweek.com/printer/articles/310654?type=bloomberg